Orange Brownies!


I live in Arizona and I’m lucky enough to have three citrus trees in my backyard. The trees are about ten years old and there’s usually a lot of fruit.

So, every year I start by making juice and eating oranges and grapefruits like crazy. I start sharing the bounty with friends and family but along the way I find there is simply no one who wants anymore oranges or grapefruit and I start to panic. Finally I beg people to take them.

Every year, I tell my husband, I will make jam or jelly so I can use more fruit. And every year laziness overtakes.  

This year my only contribution to finding a new way to use the citrus was to try a brownie recipe where you take a box of brownies and add orange juice (instead of the liquid) and include 2 tablespoons of orange zest. You cook the brownies in the hollowed out oranges and add 3-5 minutes to the bake time. It worked great but it didn’t use enough oranges to make it worth all of the calories. So…….maybe this year I will do better.  

I thought I would share the pictures. You just need to get a box of brownies and make the adjustments based on the recipe on the box. Pretty cute!




7- medium oranges
1 box brownie mix
¼ cup orange juice
2 tablespoons orange zest
Vegetable oil
Eggs

Zest 1 orange and squeeze to remove juice. (You may need additional juice from other oranges) cut tops off and hollow out 6 remaining oranges.(Save tops for decoration)          

In a medium bowl combine brownie mix, orange zest, orange juice, vegetable oil and eggs. Mix according to package directions. Pour batter into hollowed out oranges. (Fill oranges half full.)

Bake according to package directions but add an additional 3-5 minutes.  

Place tops on oranges and serve with whipped cream

Note: Nuts may be added to batter, if desired.




Comments

Popular Posts