Let’s go Dutch, Baby!



It seems like I can’t get anything done lately. I make a list and at the end of the day, the list is still sitting there and I have done nothing. It’s not even like there’s anything big on the list, just simple things like water the plants or vacuum. Still nothing gets done. I just sit and complain about all the things I have to do or want to do.

So, today I was talking to my daughter about this recipe I saw for a Dutch Baby. I told her I wanted to try it. She said I was becoming obsessed with making a Dutch Baby. I guess maybe I talked to her too many times about it. Anyway, I told her I hadn’t tried it because I couldn’t decide whether to make it savory or sweet. She simply said I needed to just make one. Sounds like a challenge to me!

So I decided to try making a Dutch Baby that is both savory and sweet with Grana Padano cheese and cherries. I had about ¾ cup of cherries in the freezer. I knew I had saved them for something. They didn’t look as pretty as they once did but they were still as sweet as they were this summer when I froze them. Grana Padano is a really versatile cheese with a very subtle taste. It’s a grainy cheese and grates very easily. Perfect for my Dutch Baby!

I looked at pictures of Dutch Baby’s on line to try to figure out what to expect. Every picture was different! Some were flat and rose only slightly and some were totally puffy in the middle. All I know is that it said they were like soufflés where they puff up and then deflate when they cool.  I guess you kind of get what you get when it’s done.

Mine was a sight to behold. What fun I had watching through the oven door. It kept puffing up until I thought it would explode. I knew that once I removed it from the oven it would deflate so I worked really fast to get a picture. Then I watched as it deflated. It truly did not resemble any of the pictures I saw on line. I decided Dutch Babys’ are like children, you don’t know what you’re going to get until they get here.  Ah, what a surprise and was it delicious! It was like a cheesy, cherry custard pancake. I topped mine with honey and a little lemon juice and then sprinkled it with powdered sugar. You could also top it with more cherries and more grated Grana Padano or just about anything else you want. So here’s the recipe and pictures of my “Dutch Baby”

Here is what you need!
My, Oh, My that's a scary looking pie!  

Now you're looking pretty.


Grana Padano and Spiced Sweet Cherry Dutch Baby

2 tablespoons butter
¾ cup sweet cherries, pitted
¾ cup flour
3 eggs
¾ cup milk
¼ cup sugar
½ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon ginger
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon salt

¼ cup grated Grana Padano

Powdered sugar, honey and lemon, optional

1) Heat oven to 425 degrees. Place cast iron skillet in oven. When pan is almost hot add butter and cherries and heat until cherries are bubbling.

2) While skillet is heating combine eggs, milk, sugar, nutmeg, ginger, cloves and salt in a blender or mixer and mix until smooth. Carefully remove hot skillet from the oven and pour batter into pan, sprinkle Grana Padano on top and return to oven. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until sides of Dutch Baby are pulling away from pan and it is puffed up and browned. Do not open door while your Dutch Baby is cooking or it will not rise. Remove from oven and enjoy your own personal Dutch Baby Masterpiece! Carefully remove to a serving plate and top with powdered sugar, honey or anything else you like.                   
YUM!





 

 

 

 



 
 
 
 
 

Comments

Popular Posts