How about Lunch for Dinner? Think Outside the Griddle!


So who doesn’t love breakfast?  I know for me, it’s all about the pancakes and waffles with maple syrup oozing down the sides. Or how about salty bacon dipped in a pool of sweet maple syrup and then eaten as the syrup drips down your chin, hoping all the time that no one is watching but not really caring anyway! So when I saw a contest for maple syrup and thought maybe, just maybe I could find a way to use maple syrup for perhaps another meal. Ah, inspiration. Although, it wasn’t really that hard since I love maple syrup and hardly need an excuse to find more ways to enjoy it.

I wanted to make something I could eat for lunch and then carry over to dinner so I decided to use a product that’s called broccoli slaw, which is a basically shredded broccoli, carrots and red cabbage. It’s sold in a 9oz bag and is available in the produce department. It’s healthy, easy to work with and is good uncooked or cooked. For my first recipe I made a salad and used a combination of maple syrup, citrus balsamic vinegar and a little mayo. It made a coleslaw dressing which paired well with the sweet apple and tart sweet cranberries. It required no cooking and could be prepared and served in the same bowl. No griddle required. Ah, success or in this case “my lunch.”
Here's what you need
Yum
 

Citrus Balsamic Broccolini Salad

2-9oz bags broccoli slaw mix
1 large or 2 small honey crisp apples (Or any tart sweet apple)
1 tablespoon grated ginger
¼ cup maple syrup
¼ cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
¼ cup dried cranberries or golden raisins
½ teaspoon salt

Fold all ingredients together in a large bowl. Toss and enjoy. 





 
For my second recipe I made pan fried pork chops with the remaining slaw (I had about 1 ½ cups leftover) and I added sliced onion, 1 tablespoon additional maple syrup with just a little sriracha to kick it up and give it a new spicy, sweet character of its own. The pork chop was simply coated in salt and pepper, then fried and the slaw was added to the pan to cook slightly. “Dinner” was served and it was a success in its simplicity. One pan, lunch and dinner! I’m going to have to figure a way to do this more often. 
 


Pan Seared Pork Chops with Onion and Spiced Slaw
2 pork chops
2 tablespoons olive
Salt and pepper, to taste
Remaining slaw plus
1 onion, sliced
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 teaspoon sriracha 
Coat pork chops in salt and pepper. Fry in olive oil, over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until done. Remove from skillet and keep warm. Add onion to skillet and cook until translucent. Add remaining slaw mix, maple syrup and sriracha to taste. Continue to cook until slaw is heated. 2 to 3 minutes. Do not overcook. You want the slaw to be hot but still a little crunchy.       
For more fun recipes using Pure Canada Maple Syrup


Comments

Popular Posts