It’s as Easy as Cheesy Tomato Pie!


 
So it’s October in Arizona and this is my favorite time of year. The days are about 75 degrees and nights are getting chilly. It’s time to think about baking and pumpkin and all kinds of squash. This is the first year we’ve planted a garden in the fall. We decided to try butternut squash and now it has taken over our back yard. My basil is going crazy from summer and I still have rosemary and mint. The tomatoes are making a final push for survival. Now I just need to be patient and wait for my squash to ripen and Fall will officially begin at my house. Until then, I decided to try another recipe for the “Legends from Europe” Market Basket Recipe Contest and requested an assignment in the cheese category.

So my assigned cheese is Grana Padano which is a really versatile with a grainy texture and pungent aroma. It goes well in savory recipes, with fruit or it can be used as a topping for pasta.  Pretty much anything you want to make. Last time I used it in an apple recipe. It worked really well but the apples are long gone and it’s time to move on to a savory recipe this time. Anyway, I decided to make one of my favorite summertime recipes as a final farewell to all my flavorful basil and sweet tomatoes. I‘ve made this recipe many, many times and have used other cheeses. It’s always turned out delicious so using Grana Padano should work even better.
 
I call this recipe Tomato and Sweet Corn Pie. A simple name for a very complex pie that combines all the flavors of summer and showcases Grana Padano in a clean and simple recipe your whole family will love.  Please don’t let the simplicity of the recipe fool you. The flavors of the ingredients are perfectly balanced to showcase each and every one. I used Roma tomatoes because that’s what I had in my garden but you can use any kind you like. I also like to top the pie with peppery arugula lightly dressed in a citrus balsamic dressing for even more fun. So here’s what you need.
 
 
 
 

Fresh Tomato, Basil and Sweet Corn Pie Topped with Citrus Balsamic Arugula

1-8oz roll phyllo dough, thawed
½ cup melted butter
3 large tomatoes, beefsteak or any you prefer
¼ teaspoon salt
4 Tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons grated Grana Padano
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons garlic powder
¼ cup shredded Grana Padano cheese
½ cup fresh or frozen corn
2 Tablespoons basil, chopped
2 Tablespoons green onion, finely diced
 
Slice tomatoes about ½ inch thick and place on paper towel. Place another paper towel on top of tomatoes and press lightly to remove moisture. Remove towel and sprinkle tomatoes with salt.

In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, grated Grana Padano, lemon juice and garlic powder.

Unroll phyllo dough. Remove single sheet and brush with butter. Place in bottom of 9 inch pie pan. Repeat with another sheet of phyllo and crisscross over 1st sheet Repeat layering until you have 7 layers. (Do not top final sheet with butter)

Place ½ the shredded Grana Padano in bottom of crust and top with of ½ the corn. Layer ½ of the tomatoes on top of corn and repeat layers. Spread mayonnaise on top of final layer. Sprinkle with basil and green onion.

Layer a sheet of phyllo on top of pie and brush with butter. Repeat layering (crisscrossing layers) until you have 7 layers. Fold overhanging phyllo over edges of pie to form decorative edge on pie. Brush generously with butter. Score the top of the pie. (Cut pie into 6 slices but do not cut through bottom of pie.

Bake 40 minutes at 375 degrees or until top of crust is golden brown. (Cover crust if it becomes too brown) Let it sit for at least 5 minutes.

 

For the Arugula Dressing: 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon citrus balsamic vinegar, ¼ teaspoon sugar. Combine all ingredients and lightly toss 1 cup arugula in dressing.  
Just say Cheese!
 
Pretty enough to eat!
My, Oh My, Its Tomato Pie!
 

Comments

Popular Posts