Carrot Pie, Anyone?


Our taste and share party was amazing! We had mango salsa cups, little Jello parfaits, bacon wrapped dates, asparagus in a spicy soy sauce and lots of other fun snacks. I brought my parmigiana meatballs and they were a wonderful success. I will certainly make them again. I also brought profiteroles (which are fancy little cream puffs) and ginger apples tarts with salted caramel and whipped cream topping. We had lots and lots of desserts so everyone was quite happy. We plan to do it again since everyone enjoyed it so much.

Now, on to my next cooking adventure.


I like to enter cooking contests and saw a contest for carrots. I know, I know “Carrots?” Don’t get me wrong, I like carrots but I never really thought much about them except for maybe butter and honey or brown sugar. I use carrots in lots of things but how was I going to plan a recipe where carrots were the focus of the whole recipe and yet make it different? I decided to make a carrot dessert. My logic was that sweet potatoes made a great pie so why not carrots? I added coconut cream and a praline topping to make it even more decadent and made cute little tarts to share. Here’s my recipe. 

     
Carrot Pie with Coconut Praline Topping
1-9inch refrigerated pie crust
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 cups cooked carrots, mashed
1/4 cup melted butter
½ cup sugar
½ cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg plus 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
1 cup coconut milk or coconut cream
1/4 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground ginger

Praline topping
½ cup toasted pecan pieces
¼ cup shredded sweetened coconut
2 tablespoons butter
¼ cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2-3 tablespoons coconut milk
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Press crust into 9inch deep dish pie pan. Crimp edges and prick bottom with a fork. Bake for 15 minutes, cover edges with foil and bake an additional 5 minutes or until the crust is beginning to brown.

For the filling;

In a food processor, process the cream cheese until smooth. Add the carrots, sugars and salt. Continue to pulse mixture until combined. Add the eggs mixed with the yolks, coconut milk and melted butter. Process on low 1 minute. Finally, add the vanilla, cinnamon, and ginger and beat just until incorporated.
Pour the filling into the warm prepared pie crust and bake for 50 minutes, or until the center is set. Place the pie on a wire rack and cool to room temperature.
Praline topping;

In a small saucepan over low heat, combine topping ingredients. Cook sauce stirring to combine until sugar has melted and sauce is bubbling. Remove from heat and serve warm with pie.






  

Comments

Popular Posts