Let's Go Golden Girl!


It’s summer in Phoenix and the only thing to do is to stay inside and keep cool. Even going to the grocery store can be a chore when it’s 110 degrees and that’s a good day. We keep setting records. Last week it was 118 degrees! The previous record was 112 set in 1985. Wow, so much for people who think global warming isn’t real. So that’s why, I haven’t been cooking a lot lately. But I digress.

Anyway, I saw a recipe contest for one of my favorite products “Golden Girl Granola” It is all natural and delicious and they sponsor a recipe contest every year. They even send you a bag of their granola to use to create your recipe. So, I decided it was time to get back to cooking and start creating so maybe I can win some “Golden Girl” granola.

This year the recipe category is appetizer so for my free bag, I chose “Forest Maple”. Next, I decided I would use my maple granola to create a crust or basis for another one of my favorites “Bacon Jam” because “what goes good with maple but bacon” of course! Then I added some Gruyere cheese and caramelized onions and my, oh, my. That’s a delicious combination.so here’s my recipe…….Hope you enjoy it!                 

If you want to find out about all the other delicious “Golden Girl” flavors go to




Spicy Granola Squares with Gruyere-Bacon Jam and Caramelized Onions

2 cups Golden Girl Forest Maple Granola
¼ cup grated Gruyere cheese
3 tablespoons melted butter
½ teaspoon cayenne
1 egg white, slightly beaten until frothy
12 oz. bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
½ cup onion, diced
2 cloves minced garlic
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
½ cup brewed coffee
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup maple syrup
1 tablespoon sriracha sauce
1 large sliced sweet onion
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoon grated Gruyere cheese   

Granola Crust
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
Butter the bottom of a 9x9 or 9x11 oven safe pan. Line the bottom of pan with parchment paper.

In a food processor, pulse the granola until it all resembles small pea-sized pieces. Pour granola into a medium bowl and add butter, cheese and cayenne.. Stir until combined. Add egg white and press mixture into bottom of prepared pan. Use hands or back of spoon to make sure granola is firmly in place. Bake at 300 degrees for 25 minutes or until granola is firm and starting to brown on the bottom. Remove from the oven and cool.

Bacon Jam
In a large skillet, over medium heat, cook bacon until almost crispy. Remove bacon* from skillet but reserve grease allowing 2 tablespoons to remain in skillet. (Save remaining bacon grease for later use) Cook onion over medium heat until tender. Add garlic. And cook one minute longer. Add vinegar to deglaze pan. Add remaining ingredients, including bacon and continue to simmer until liquid is reduced and mixture has a syrupy consistency. (It will take about 15-20 minutes.) The jam will thicken as it cools.

*if bacon is too chunky, crumble bacon into smaller pieces or place bacon in a small food processor and process until pieces are smaller. I like chunky jam so I just leave the bacon in larger chunks. This recipe makes 1½ cups of jam.


Caramelized Onions
In a large skillet, over medium heat, cook sliced onion in 2 tablespoons reserved bacon grease until tender.(About 10-15 minutes) Season with salt and pepper.

To assemble: Spread a thin layer of bacon jam on cooked, cooled granola crust. Cut granola into desired sized squares and place on serving platter. Top with caramelized onion and additional cheese. Serve hot. Makes 8 to 12  appetizers.    









Comments

Popular Posts