#BushesChiliCookOff


When I was growing up my mom would cook dinner every night. She usually made things that were easy to prepare or something my sister or I could put in the oven before she got home. She worked at a factory and she got home every night at 4:30. Dinner was at 5:00 and we were all expected to be there. The weekend was when she’d use the leftovers (if there were any) and we never knew what she would create. One of my favorites was when she would make chili. Her version of chili started with ground beef and beans and then evolved based on what was available. I grew up believing that was the only way any one made chili. I think I was about 20 years old before I realized chili could be made with chicken or pork or even without meat at all. A whole new world of chili opened up before me. This is one of those recipes that kind of evolved like my mother’s recipes did.  

Every fall my husband and I would take the kids to the local orchard and pick peaches. We’d eat all we wanted while we picked and then bought bushels home. Pies and cobblers were abundant in our household for weeks. We’d freeze the remaining the peaches to use during the year. I developed this recipe for one of our weekend gatherings. The balance of the sweet peaches and spicy green peppers creates a perfect balance of sweet and spicy flavors.   


Sweet Peach and Bacon Chili

12 oz. thick cut bacon, chopped
1 cup diced onion
½ cup diced red pepper
1-8oz. can tomato sauce
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
1-10-11oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies
1-15½ ounce can Bushes white chili beans
2-15½ ounce cans Bushes black beans in a mild chili sauce
2 fresh peaches, peeled and chopped or 1 bag (12-14 ounces) sliced frozen peaches, thawed
½ cup peach preserves
¼ cup molasses
1/3 cup cider vinegar
2 Tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons dried mustard
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
2-3 cups chicken broth

Directions

1. Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Pour off bacon grease allowing 2 tablespoons to remain in pan. Cook onion and pepper over medium heat until onion is just cooked. Transfer mixture to a large pot or Dutch oven and add remaining ingredients except broth. Add cooked bacon and 1 cup broth. Cook over medium heat until hot. Reduce heat to low and continue to simmer for 1 hour, adding remaining broth as needed.
Makes 6-8 servings 



Comments

Popular Posts