Food for Thought!


My mother loved to cook which is a really good thing since she had eight children who loved to eat.    She also worked full time. I was one of the oldest children so a lot of the cooking became my responsibility. Not the “real cooking” mostly just putting a roast in the oven or preparing vegetables. At some point I moved up to mashing potatoes and even making gravy. Ah, I still remember those tasks and how vital they were to making sure everyone could sit down to dinner at 4:30. Food and dinner time was the focal point of everyday. A time everyone gathered and we shared our day, the good and the bad. We were a family and everyone was expected to be there. With seven brothers and sisters, who were always hungry, you’d better be there promptly. Dinner and the sharing of food became a tradition I continued when I had children of my own.

Then one day my children grew up and I realized I was still cooking for six people, the problem was they were all off having lives of their own and I still wanted to cook every night. I also realized I was cooking the same things I’d cooked for years. So one day I decided to take a leap of faith and try cooking something I had never cooked before. I bought a package of phyllo dough and thought I’d give it a try. I made a potpie using phyllo as the crust. I can still remember the shock I felt when it not only looked good, it tasted amazing and that’s where my adventure really began. I continued to experiment and soon became obsessed with food magazines, cooking shows and cookbooks

In 2005, I started entering the food contests at the State Fair, you know the one’s where you bring in a pie or some other food item and a panel of judges tastes them. I won a third place ribbon in the C&H cookie contest and I was hooked. A year later I entered the Hormel Spam contest at the fair and won first place with my Spam Potpie with a phyllo crust which went on to win the National Spam championship in 2007 and a $3000.00 cash prize. I continue to enter the State Fair and a couple of years ago I discovered on-line contests and started competing. I have won a few, lost many but I love to cook so I continue.

I started my blog in 2012 so I could share my recipes with family and friends. I started posting recipes and I found I really like to write about food and share recipes. I soon discovered there is a whole community of people who shared my passion for food and cooking. I also discovered cooking contests for bloggers and decided to give them a try. I entered The “Highbush Blueberry Council” blogging contest and won first place. I also won first place in the “Legends of Europe” contest. I continue to enter contests and love being able to share my love of food with a whole new audience.  

I competed in the World Food Championships in the Bacon Championship for 2 years in a row but I got sidelined last year when I was diagnosed with throat cancer. I was told I would need to complete 36 radiation treatments and 3 months of chemotherapy. I was devastated and then they told me the really bad news.” I might lose my sense taste.” Not good news for a “Die Hard Foodie.” It was a true reality check and I didn’t know if I would ever be able to compete again. It also forced me to look at what is important in life and to embrace every opportunity life has to offer.  I lost my sense of taste for about 2 months and slowly it is returning. I am so fortunate to have recovered so much. It has been slow but I am so grateful.


I am also ready to begin embracing my passion one more time and hope to be given the opportunity to compete in the “World Food Blogger Summit” conference” in Florida.  






Comments

Popular Posts