Jeepers Peepers


 
Okay, I have to admit it. I love Peeps! You know those bright colored little chicks and bunnies that are soft, little sponge like creatures, covered in glistening sugar that melt in your mouth and simply leave you wanting just one more. Ah, the mere talk about Peeps and I know I will have to open another package before I am finished even explaining myself. Yes, that is what addiction does, it makes no sense and yet we continue to do it over and over again. So I will eat my Peeps and wonder why sugar in its purist form could be so addicting.

Today is also Easter and that means we make all kinds of wonderful foods to share. So I thought I would share a recipe. I entered this recipe in the state fair last year and it won 1st place

 

  
 
 Salted Karo-mel Apple Dumplings

1-8oz roll phyllo dough, thawed
1 cup butter, melted
5 cups tart apples, peeled, cored, chopped
¾ cup sugar
2 Tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon lemon juice
¼ cup pecans, chopped
¼ cup Karo dark corn syrup
1/3 cup brown sugar
¼ cup butter, melted

1 teaspoon sea salt

1) Spray sides and bottom of 6 count large muffin pan. Heat oven to 350 degrees.

2) Combine apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large saucepan. Cook apple over medium heat until just tender. (Apples should be slightly crunchy) add lemon juice and remove from heat.

3) Combine pecans, Karo, sugar and butter. Pour mixture into bottom of muffin pan, dividing mixture evenly between all 6 cups.

4) Unroll phyllo and remove single sheet. Brush with butter and fold in half. Press into muffin cup on top of pecan mixture. Repeat with another sheet of phyllo and crisscross first sheet to cover sides of muffin opening allowing excess to hang over. Repeat 2 more times. Pour apple mixture into opening and cover with overhanging phyllo dough, brushing with butter after each fold. Brush top with butter. Repeat with remaining  muffin cups. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove from oven and allow dumplings to cool for 5 minutes. Invert dumplings onto serving plate. Sprinkle with salt and serve warm. Makes 6 dumplings.

 






 

And then I made a “Trifle.” You know, a layered dessert, salad or whatever in a glass bowl. I’ve tried them before and sometimes they turn out and sometimes they just seem to be a mess. This one was a hit at our Easter dinner. I put lady fingers, crunched up, in the bottom and then strawberries and then pistachio pudding with pineapple and whipped topping in it and then pineapple chunks and orange Jell-O with mandarin oranges in it and then I topped it all with whipped topping and coconut and of course jelly beans and a “Peep” Ah, another reason to love Peeps! Looked really cute but I will have to try to get the layers more defined next time.      

 

 

 
 
 

 



 
 
 
 


 

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts