Everything is Just Cheesy!


So what happened to September? Last time I remember it was August. I was complaining about the heat and wondering if it would ever end. In Arizona the summers seem to last forever and then we get a little hint of cool weather just to lull us into believing it really wasn’t that bad. Ah, we are so easily fooled and just like that it’s time for football and Halloween and Yes, Christmas is just around the corner. I also love this time of year because I can finally start baking and I don’t feel so bad about heating up the house. I know, I know, we all have problems.

Anyway, last year I entered this contest called “Legend from Europe” Market Basket Recipe Contest for Bloggers. It was really a fun contest where you are given an assigned product and you must create a recipe using the product.  Last year my product was Montasio cheese which is a pungent, nutty, cheese much like Asiago. I loved learning about a new cheese and created a clafouti which is a custard like pie and paired it with the Montasio cheese and pears. It’s really fun recipe and was a great way to highlight the cheese in a new and unique way.

This year my product assignment is Grana Padano Cheese which I haven’t used before so first I needed to figure out where to buy it. The Montasio was kind of hard to find so I was pleased to find Grana Padano so easily. I went to Trader Joes and they had it in a block or grated, so I got both.

Grana Padano is made from with raw partially skimmed cows’ milk.  It is made from milk from cows that have been fed and raised under stringent guidelines.  It is a grainy, hard, cheese much like Parmesan. The cheese I purchased was aged for over 18 months and had a slightly pungent flavor. The flavor is somewhat nutty and seems to linger slightly. Grana Padano is produced in the Po valley in Italy and only cheese from this area can be called Grana Padano.

Now on to the fun part! What to make? The Grana Padano would really work for just about any recipe but I decided it was time for baking and what would be better in October but apples. So apples it is but what to do with apples and Grana Padano cheese? Ah, at my house it’s apple dumplings with a Grana Padano, bacon and walnut topping. Oh my, is there any part of that, not to love? So here’s the recipe and a variation because I couldn’t decide which one I liked best. Just be sure to use a generous amount of the topping when making these. 
 
So here's what you need
 
 
 
 
Tart Apple Phyllo Dumplings with a Grana Padano, Bacon and Walnut Topping
6 slices bacon
3 tablespoons flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
4 tablespoons butter, chilled, cut into peas size pieces
¼ cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup Grana Padano cheese, grated
5 cups Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, sliced
1 cup granulated sugar
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons flour
1-1lb box phyllo dough, thawed
½ cup butter, melted
 Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
1) Cook bacon until crisp, drain and crumble. In a small bowl, combine flour, brown sugar and butter with a fork until crumbly. Stir in bacon, cheese and walnuts. Refrigerate until ready to use.  
2) Place apples in a saucepan and add sugar, lemon, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt. Cook over medium-low heat until apples are tender but still somewhat firm. Add flour and cook an additional minute or two until sauce thickens slightly. Remove from heat.  
3) Unroll phyllo and cut in half. Remove a single sheet and brush with butter. Remove another sheet, brush with butter and place on top of 1st sheet. Repeat until you have 7 layers. Gently press phyllo into large 6 count muffin tin. (Make sure tips of phyllo are upright and not lying on muffin tin)  Fill shells with apples and top generously with cheese and bacon mixture.
Bake for 15 minutes or until phyllo is browned.
 
 
 
 
 
Variation: Place 1 tablespoon melted butter in bottom of muffin cups. Place cheese and bacon mixture on top of butter and press phyllo into cups and fill with apple. Close pocket by folding phyllo over apples and brushing with butter. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until browned. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan.
Note: You will need additional 6 tablespoons butter for this variation.    
 
 
 
 
 
 




 
 
 

Comments

Popular Posts