From Peanut Butter to Parmigiano Reggiano, a Long and Winding Road


 
Okay, so how do you explain the evolution of a palate? I guess you start by explaining where you started and for me that was growing up with a seven brothers and sisters and a mother who worked. Dinners were planned and consisted of meat, potatoes and a can of something. It wasn’t until I was older and got married that I experienced fresh vegetables and let me tell you, it was a whole new world for me. And my journey began….

I discovered there were also different cheeses. Now, I knew about Cheddar and American because that’s what my mother used but I discovered Swiss and Monterey Jack and somewhere along the way I had my first experience with a spinach dip and I was hooked. I discovered the forever classic Parmesan cheese canister. You know the one. Everybody loves that little canister of cheese you shake on pizza or spaghetti. Ah, what could be better? It never dawned on me that Parmesan cheese could be purchased in any other form. I even somehow assumed Parmesan was a powdered cheese or maybe synthetic? How else did it get so powdery and yet so good! It took me a years (yes, I am a slow learner) to discover Parmesan came in other shapes and sizes, like grated and shredded and then one day, I discovered Parmigiano Reggiano and I knew, life, as I knew it, would never be the same! Okay, so maybe that was a little dramatic but it sure led to some wonderful recipes and lots of great meals.

So let’s talk cheese! Parmesan cheese and Parmigiano Reggiano are both hard granular, cows’ milk, cheeses but Parmigiano Reggiano is named after the producing areas near Parma, Reggio Emilia, Modena and Bologna, Italy. It’s is the only area where this cheese is produced and that is why it is special and all the other Parmesan cheeses aspire to taste like it.  The difference in taste between the two cheeses is dramatic. While they are both have a pungent odor, the Parmigiano Reggiano has a much smoother and creamier texture. It’s the difference between taking a bite of something that tastes cheesy and something that tastes cheesy but melts in your mouth as you eat it. I also feel Parmegiano Reggiano has a richer flavor. I think I’m getting hungry. Anyway, there’s a big difference.

Since my discovery, I’ve found many new and wonderful ways to integrate Parmigiano Reggiano into my recipes. I also discovered one of the most delicious pairings. Who would think a simple pear could be turned into a delectable dessert when paired with…….you guessed it…. cheese. I know I know who hasn’t tried apple pie and cheddar cheese or some kind of berry and cream cheese? Let me just say, I would not pair Pamigiano Reggiano with a simple pear and call it dessert (although there have been many times when I have) The King of Cheese deserves a “Grand Platform” to display its magnificent glory. This is why I have chosen to combine rich and pungent flavors of Parmigiano Reggiano and the subtle yet elegant simplicity of the pear in an elegant dessert, called a Clafouti.

The clafouti was developed in the Limousin region of France, and most traditionally it is made with cherries. It has a flan like texture and is served warm. I felt cherries would not allow the Parmigiano Reggiano to truly dominate the clafouti, so I chose a subtle pear. The balsamic glaze simply adds another level of flavor and sweetness, to an already delicious dessert, without overpowering it. I also felt my clafouti needed an elegant display vessel to showcase its beauty and so I chose a flaky phyllo crust as a way to enhance its appeal even more. I hope you enjoy my creation. I certainly know I will!

And my journey continues………  

  
 

Pear and Parmi Clafouti with an Orange and Honey Balsamic Glaze

1-8oz roll phyllo dough, thawed
½ cup butter, melted
3oz Parmigiano Reggiano, coarsely grated
4 Bosc pears, peeled, cored, finely sliced
3 eggs
1/3 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons flour
2/3 cup cream or half and half
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons lemon zest
Glaze
1 orange, juiced, zested
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup suagr
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar (I used grapefruit)

Spray 10 inch springform pan with cooking spray. Heat oven to 350 degrees
Unroll phyllo, remove a single sheet and place in the bottom and partially up sides of springform pan. Brush with butter and crisscross with another sheet brushing it with butter. Pivot next sheet of phyllo slightly and brush with butter. Continue layering until you have 8 layers.

Place layer of cheese in bottom of crust and top with sliced pears. Cover with damp paper towel and refrigerate while you prepare custard.

In a small bowl, beat eggs and sugar about 1 minute. Add flour, cream, lemon zest and vanilla. Pour mixture over pears.

With remaining phyllo, remove 2 or 3 sheets at a time and roll sheets and tuck phyllo around top edges of custard to form crust. Brush generously with butter. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

 Place 3/4 cup orange juice, zest, and honey and sugar (add water to juice from orange to make 3/4 cup, if necessary) in a saucepan, over low heat. Bring to a boil and continue to simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in balsamic vinegar. Remove clafouti from the oven and brush with balsamic mixture. Cover edges of clafouti pan with a pie ring to keep crust from burning. Return to oven and bake an additional 10 minutes. Cool slightly. Serve warm with remaining orange sauce. Makes 8 servings

      

 


 

       

Comments

Popular Posts