My 1st Jelly Roll Attempt


 
I love to watch cooking shows but I always wonder how their recipes turn out so perfect every time. I know, I know, they probably don’t show the mess ups but it still leaves me feeling totally inadequate. So today I thought I’s share my attempt at a jelly roll. It sounded so easy when they did it on TV. Not so in my kitchen. I have a jelly roll pan and everything so I can’t even blame the equipment.

 
Okay, so I didn’t have a cake mix but I had 2 of those little muffin mix packets. Certainly they would work with a little help. So instead of ½ cup of milk per mix, I added 2 eggs and 1 cup of pumpkin. (I was trying for a holiday yule log kind of thing) I spread it in the pan and baked it for about 15 minutes. Everything looked pretty good so far. It puffed up a little more than I expected but it still looked okay.

 
When it was done, I let it cool for 10 minutes and then I flipped it onto a cookie sheet. Everything was still looking pretty good. I made the stuff to put inside it. I spread it on and then started to roll it like the woman on TV had shown me. The only problem was, when I rolled it, it didn’t remain in one piece like hers did. Mine started to break into sections. I kept going, knowing there was no turning bake. I kept tucking and rolling and pretending it would somehow magically work into the beautiful jelly roll she had done. Not so.
 

What I had was an accordion looking thing that looked more like a short little layer cake than any kind of roll. Anyway, thank goodness for icing and a Wilton cupcake tip. It’s amazing what icing will cover. I am not sharing the recipe because I will not be making it again but I will share the pictures and hope you do better than I did.  


Comments

Popular Posts