Madeleine! What’s in a Name?


I went shopping today and found this really cute baking pan. It has little shell like compartments and is called a “Madeleine” pan. I’d never seen one before but it sure looked like it would be fun! 

I looked it up and found out that it a cake pan from Italy and you use it to make little cakes. It was only $5.00, well worth the fun I could have, so I thought I’d give it a try. 

Most recipes on-line were for little sponge cakes and I wanted to find something a little more fun. I found this recipe which used frozen corn so I decided to try it. 

They turned out great and tasted like light little cornbreads but with more of a cake like texture. Anyway, I will make them again and they would be great with chili or soup or maybe just butter and honey. Mine were gone before I got to try some of those ideas but maybe next time!.  



Sweet Corn Madeleines

½ cup flour
½ teaspoon each baking powder and salt
1 large egg plus 1 egg white
⅓ cup granulated sugar
6½ tablespoons melted butter, divided
½ cup fresh or frozen corn
1 tablespoon powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

In a small bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt

In another bowl whisk egg and egg white with granulated sugar.

Combine flour mixture with egg mixture until just combined. Add 4 tablespoons butter and corn until just combined.

With remaining butter, grease Madeleine pan. Divide mixture between compartments and bake for 12 to 15 minutes until golden brown.(Compartments will be full)

Loosen from pan with a knife and lift madeleines to a plate. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.       
Makes 12 mini corn muffins



Comments

Popular Posts