Aunt Carol’s Spice Cake


So, I went to get the mail yesterday and I found a large white envelope inside. It was from the Yankee Publishing Company and I thought maybe I’d ordered another magazine. I already get about 8 or 10 because I’m such a sucker for the deals, you know the one’s, trial subscription for only $5.00 only to find out next year it will cost $20 and they’ll even renew it automatically for you.  Ah, those automatic renewals have cost me a bundle. Inside the envelope was a copy of Farmers Almanac magazine and an envelope which I assumed was the bill. 

Imagine my surprise when I opened it and found a check for $250.00 and a letter saying I had won 1st prize in a recipe contest I’d entered almost a year ago.I quickly flipped through the magazine and found a picture of my aunt Carol’s spice cake.

My aunt Carol was my mother’s sister and loved to cook She raised 5 kids of her  
own and was always there to help my mother when she needed someone to take me or my brothers or sisters when we had the measles or were sick when my mother couldn’t take off work. She may not have been a “working mom” but she was one of the hardest “working moms” I ever knew.and spent a lot of time volunteering at the church and later on, at the Senior Center. She was a busy lady and wasn’t a fancy cook but no one ever went hungry and there was always plenty to go around.          

Anyway, Farmers Almanac sponsors recipe contests all year long. They usually entail using a seasoning vegetable like carrots or onions or in my case the vegetable was butternut squash. It’s a really tough contest and they ask for specific instructions because they really make the recipes and want to be sure the instructions work. So all I can say is it must have worked and they even took a lovely picture. I have the magazine proudly displayed in my kitchen and I hope that the next time I make it , I can make it look as good. Anyway……...Here it is! 
    




Aunt Carol’s Chiffon Spice Cake

1 cup flour
1¼ cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon ginger
¼ teaspoon allspice
⅛ teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
4 eggs separated plus 5 egg whites, room temperature
1 cup, cooked, pureed butternut squash

Cut a medium butternut squash in half lengthwise down the center. Remove seeds. Place it in a 9x13 baking pan, cut side down. Pour enough water in pan so there is about 1 inch of water on all sides. Roast in a 375 degree oven for about 1 hour or when fork tender. Cool, peel and puree in a food processor until smooth.
     
1.In a large bowl combine flour, ¾ cup sugar, spices, baking powder and salt.

2.In a medium bowl combine egg yolks and squash. Stir the squash mixture into the flour mixture.  

3.In an electric mixer, fitted with a whisk attachment beat egg whites until foamy, about 2 minutes. Gradually add the sugar, a tablespoon at a time. Increase speed to high and continue to mix until stiff peaks form. (1-2 more minutes.)

4.Fold ¼ of the egg white mixture into the squash mixture, folding with a rubber spatula, just until no streaks remain. Repeat with remaining egg white mixture. Pour batter into 10-inch tube pan with removable bottom.  Bake until toothpick inserted in bottom comes out clean, 55 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes and then invert pan onto narrow necked bottle and allow to hang upside down until completely cooled, about 1 hour. Place cake right side up and remove pan. frost with Spiced Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting.

Spiced Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting

1 cup heavy whipping cream
6oz cream cheese, room temperature
½ cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ cup toasted pecan pieces
½ cup caramel ice cream topping

In a small bowl whip cream until stiff peaks form

In another bowl combine cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, salt and spices. 

Fold whipped cream into cream cheese until combined. Frost sides and top of cake. Sprinkle with toasted pecans. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Drizzle cake with caramel ice cream topping



Comments

Popular Posts