It's Christmas, Again


It’s Christmas, again?

How did the year go by so fast. Seems like just yesterday I was making New Year’s resolutions and planning things I would get done….for sure! Well, needless to say, all my plans have made it to next year’s list. Again! I just know I will do better. This year I think I make a list and write it down where I have to look at it every day. Maybe I will stick to it if it’s written down.

 Anyway, the part I love about this time of year is all the baking I get to do because people will finally allow themselves to eat cookies and goodies. I love to bake but I need someone to help me eat all the stuff and I figure until January 1st I have a bunch of cookie and fudge eaters. So, I have been busy but I have also been making some of my favorite casseroles as well as trying some fun new recipes.

My all time favorite casserole is called Southwest Brunch Bake and it is a casserole that is easy to make and uses corn tortillas which I love. Perfect for the holidays and it can be reheated and so it’s great to make and have around for a quick dinner or lunch. Enjoy!   



Southwest Tortilla Brunch Bake

8-8-inch corn tortillas
12oz Mexican Chorizo sausage, browned, drained
⅓ cup canned tomatoes with green chilies, drained
8oz Pepper-Jack cheese, shredded
¼ cup chopped green onions
1½ cups half and half or whole milk
5 large Eggs
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon ground cumin

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine cooked sausage and tomatoes with green chilies in small bowl.

Place corn tortillas on the bottom of greased 9inch round baking pan or glass pie pan. Sprinkle with half of browned sausage mixture. Sprinkle half of cheese and half of green onions over sausage.

Layer with remaining tortillas, sausage, cheese and green onions.

Combine half and half or milk, eggs, smoked paprika and cumin in medium bowl, beat with wire whisk until well mixed. Pour mixture over cheese and sausage.

Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cut into wedges. Serve with salsa, sour cream and sliced green onions, if desired.

Preparation time: 35 minutes
Baking time: 45 minutes

I am always trying to find quick and easy breakfast and brunch recipes the whole family can enjoy. This casserole is perfect for any occasion and combines the spices of the southwest with the comfort of a hearty morning casserole. The recipe can be spiced up by adding cayenne and hot peppers or mellowed by replacing the tomatoes and green chilies with mild salsa. The versatility and ease of preparation has made this a favorite in my family.

To save time on holidays, I like to cook and layer the sausage, tortillas and cheese and onions in the pan the night before. Cover and refrigerate until morning. Then simply whisk the remaining ingredients and bake.





Comments

Popular Posts