Oodles and Oodles of Sunshine and Noodles


I love a challenge so when I heard about the JSL Fortune Asian Noodle Blogger Recipe Challenge, I decided to give it a try, especially when they offered to provide the product to create the recipe. How great is that! I even got to choose which product I wanted to try and boy, do their noodles look good. Now let’s see if they taste good too!

First I had to decide  what kind of noodle I wanted to work with. Their noodles are sold under the Twin Dragon, Fortune and Spring Home brands. So many kinds to choose from. They have Udon noodles (beef, mushroom, chicken and original) and stir fry noodles with really fun sauces like mandarin orange, original, teriyaki, hot and spicy and ginger soy. Too many choices, so I decided to go with a classic flavor of stir fry noodle, teriyaki. Versatile and an easy flavor to work with, especially since I had no idea what kind of recipe I would make. If you would like to see the many varieties of noodles that are available:
Here is a link to the product list
list.http://www.jslfoods.com/consumer_overview.cfm   

My noodles arrived packed in ice and it was at this time I realized just what made these noodles so amazing. They came in a refrigerated packet because they are fresh and completely cooked. The noodles vacuum packed in a package that can be microwaved slightly for quick and easy preparation. I decided to try them and prepared the noodles according to the package directions. Oh, my goodness, they are delicious! The teriyaki flavor packet is amazing. Now, how do I use them in a recipe.

If you want to give their products a try you can find them at
Acme, Genuardi’s, Smith’s Marketplace, Albertson’s, Bashas, Safeway, Fry’s, Winco, Target




Anyway, now I had to decide what to make. I’ve used noodle before as hamburger buns so I decided I could use them as a base for some vegetables. Since I live in the Southwest I decided to make a variation on a toastada, using the noodle to make a crunchy shell with sweet charred corn and black beans as toastada toppings. A simple Mexican toastada with an Asian twist, I call a Noodle Stack. I figure it’s my recipe and I can call it anything I want. This recipe is easy to make and I hope you enjoy it. I sure did.

So if you want to see some other great recipes you can go to the JSL foods Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/JSL-Foods-865060840307447/?fref=ts

Twitter  https://twitter.com/JSL_Foods





Shrimp, Charred Corn and Black Bean Noodle Stacks

Noodle Stacks

1-7.7oz package JSL Yokisoba stir fry noodles, teriyaki flavor sauce packet (noodles only save packet for sauce)
1 teaspoon garlic paste
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 egg
¼ cup peanut oil

Shrimp Marinade and Sauce

1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon grated ginger
2 teaspoons allspice
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
2 tablespoons orange marmalade
1 tablespoon lime zest
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
2 teaspoons reserved teriyaki flavor sauce packet
¼ cup low sodium soy sauce  
⅔ cup orange juice, divided
2 teaspoons cornstarch
½ lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined

Stir fry vegetables

1  cup fresh or frozen corn
½ cup red or yellow pepper, chopped
½ cup onion, chopped
1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained

Garnish

½ cup cilantro,leaves  
1 avocado, peeled and sliced
1 cup jicama, thinly sliced



Directions

Noodle Stacks

Place plastic wrap in the bottom of 4-4 inch crocks allowing extra wrap so it will cover noodles.

Puncture noodle packet with a knife. Microwave 30 seconds. Remove noodles to a bowl and add egg, garlic paste and onion powder. Mix until well combined. Divide noodles into 4 portions and place each portion into crocks. Cover with overhanging plastic wrap and press into bottom of crocks. Refrigerate 1 hour.
   
Place 2 tablespoons peanut oil In a large skillet or wok, over medium heat, gently remove noodles from crock and place in skillet. Cook noodles stacks until browned on both sides. Remove stacks from skillet and place on paper towel. Cover to keep warm.

Shrimp
Combine marinade ingredients, except cornstarch ( add ⅓ cup orange juice, save remaining sauce for later use). Place shrimp in a shallow bowl and add ½ of the sauce. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Stir fry

Add 2 tablespoons remaining peanut oil to skillet over medium heat. Add corn and cook until it is starting to get browned. Add peppers and onions and cook until tender. Add beans.

Push mixture to outer edges of skillet. Remove shrimp from marinade and fry 3-4 minutes or until pink. Flip shrimp and cook other side. Remove shrimp from skillet and add ⅓ cup orange juice to remaining marinade. Add cornstarch to mixture, stirring to remove all lumps. Slowly add mixture to center of skillet stirring gently until it starts to thicken.  Stir in  vegetables.and add cooked shrimp. Heat until shrimp is hot.

To Serve; Place noodle stack on plate and top with charred corn and shrimp mixture. Garnish with cilantro, avocado and jicama or maybe some coconut crema.  










 

Comments

Popular Posts