Sauciness is Polenta-full



Time again to start cooking and see who has true sauciness, thanks again to Barhyte foods, Saucy Mama products and all the deliciousness they provide.
As you may remember from last year, Saucy Mama sponsored a contest challenging bloggers to create a recipe that highlighted their products in new and creative ways. They, of course, were gracious enough to provide all competitors with six of their products with instructions to simply use one or more of the products and start creating.
Ah, what fun but first the hard part! What Saucy Mama products should I choose? Sounds simple!  All those great products but I had no idea what I would make. Finally I decided I would go with some of my favorites. To see all of the Saucy Mama products go to http://barhyte.com/brands/Saucy-Mama.html
The 1st product I chose was Saucy Mama Sweet Heat Marinade.


This marinade is probably my favorite Saucy Mama product. I live in the southwest and everything I cook seems to have some kind of spice or heat and this product provides just that. It has a moderate heat level with a nice sweet balance so it can be used as a marinade or simply to add flavor and a little heat to any sauce.
My 2nd choice was another of my favorites Saucy Mama Apricot Ginger Mustard.

I always love the sweet and spicy mustard they serve as a dipping sauce with Asian food and I love ginger so how could I not love this mustard. Stand alone, it is great but or added to a sauce. Well, Yum!
My 3rd choice and another favorite (I kind of see a pattern here) was Saucy Mama Poblano Ranch Dressing. 

Southwest flavors with a little heat. Great on a salad or as a dipping sauce.
My 4th choice was Saucy Mama White Balsamic and Honey Dressing. 

Who doesn’t love balsamic dressing and honey. The perfect combination.
My 5th product choice was Saucy Mama Raspberry Vinaigrette Dressing. 

Raspberry wonderful!
My 6th and final product I chose was Saucy Mama Creamy Horseradish.


Now that’s spicy!
So now you know my dilemma! So many great products and only one recipe! But wait! This year as a bonus, we are able to submit three recipes! 
So on to my first!

Crispy Polenta Bites with Sweet N’ Spicy Bacon Jam


Polenta
1 cup instant polenta
½ teaspoon salt
4 slices bacon
2 tablespoons green onion, finely diced
1 clove minced garlic
¼ cup finely shredded parmesan cheese


Bacon Jam
12 oz. bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
½ cup onion, diced
2 cloves minced garlic
¼ cup Saucy Mama Sweet Heat Marinade
½ cup brewed coffee
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons bourbon


Polenta
Fry 4 slices of bacon in a small skillet until crispy. Remove from heat and crumble. Pour off grease allowing 1 tablespoon to remain. Sauté onion in pan about 2 to 3 minutes or until tender and add minced garlic. Cook a minute longer. Return bacon to pan and set aside.
Bring 4 cups water to a boil over medium heat. Add salt and slowly pour polenta into water stirring constantly to keep lumps from forming. Boil 3 minutes or until mixture starts to thicken. Remove from heat and stir in bacon mixture and cheese.
Cool mixture slightly until you can handle it well enough to roll polenta into 2 inch balls. Press mixture into bottom and up sides of a buttered mini muffin pan. Repeat with remaining polenta. Refrigerate for 20 minutes to give butter a chance to chill and hold together. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes or until polenta is starting to brown.


Bacon Jam


Cook bacon over medium heat until it starts to get crispy. Remove bacon from skillet and set aside. Drain pan allowing 2 tablespoons bacon grease to remain in pan.
Sauté onions until tender. Add minced garlic and cook a minute longer. Reduce heat to low.
Add Saucy Mama Sweet Heat marinade to deglaze pan. Then add remaining ingredients, including bacon that has been crumbled.
Simmer until liquid is reduced and has a syrupy consistency. It will take about 15 to 20 minutes. If jam is still too chunky, it can be put in a food processor to smooth it out. I like it chunky so I just make sure I tear it or crumble it after initial cooking.


This recipe makes about 1½ cups of jam.


This recipe is easy to make and can be made ahead of time and assembled when ready to serve.


Comments

  1. All of the Saucy Mama products look so good, and so does your polenta recipe. I want to make these polenta bites for a summer gathering. And bacon... can you ever go wrong with bacon? I think not! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts