Blueberries and Bananas, a Perfect Match!

So, here’s the problem with a good recipe. You try it and it tastes good and you eat too much and then you don’t have quite enough to share.

My sister invited us to dinner but my Clafouti was too good and my husband and I ate too much. Now I only have half a pie to take to dinner. I figure I had two options. I could make another pie or I could try another recipe. I decided I would see if I could get lucky by trying another recipe.

I thought I would try to use my remaining blueberries and the one ripe banana I had, to see if I could create a recipe that pairs blueberries and bananas. What I finally decided to do was to make a banana crepe with a blueberry mousse filling. It sounded good to me, even after the half pie I had eaten.

So I took my crepe recipe that I knew worked and incorporated a ripe banana into it. The crepe recipe I use makes 20 crepes so I cut the recipe in half, reduced some of the milk and added the banana. The crepe mixture should be thin so you can add a little more milk if it is too thick. Then I made a ricotta mousse. I added frozen blueberries and then folded in the remaining fresh blueberries. I also drizzled white chocolate on top. I like white chocolate and it’s my recipe so why not?

Ah, another success or in this case dessert to take to my sister’s house for dinner. I assembled the crepes to take pictures and then took them to her house. I kept them refrigerated until dessert. They were easy to transport and everyone loved them. I figure who wouldn’t love dessert with all kinds of sweet blueberries all rolled up in a decadent banana crepe. Try my recipe or for lots more recipes and facts about all the wonderful reasons to eat blueberries go to http://www.blueberrycouncil.org/  
 
Here are the crepes. They sure look pretty enough to eat by themselves. 
       
Yum! They look even better with blueberries inside! 

Banana Crepes with Blueberry Ricotta Mousse

Crepes
1¼ cups flour
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 ripe banana, mashed (about ½ cup)
2 eggs
1½ cups half and half
1 tablespoon butter, melted
¼ cup melted butter for frying crepes

Blueberry Mousse
1/3 cup ricotta
1/3 cup cream cheese, room temperature
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup frozen blueberries, thawed and drained
1 teaspoon vanilla
 ½ cup heavy cream, whipped
 1/3 cup fresh blueberries

Drizzle
¼ cup white chocolate
1 tablespoons milk 

Crepes
1) Stir together, flour, salt and baking powder

2) Combine eggs and banana. Add half and half and 1 tablespoon butter. Stir into flour mixture.

3) Heat 8 inch crepe pan over medium heat and brush bottom with butter. Pour ¼ cup batter into pan and rotate pan so batter forms a thin layer. Cook until top is dry and bottom is browned. Cook other side until lightly browned. Repeat with remaining batter. Stack crepes on paper towels or waxed paper. 

Blueberry Mousse     

1) Combine ricotta, cream cheese, sugar and frozen blueberries. Add vanilla.

2) Whip heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Fold ricotta mixture into cream and add fresh blueberries.

To serve: Place 2 tablespoon blueberry mousse in each crepe and wrap crepe around filling. Drizzle with white chocolate. Crepes may be refrigerated until ready to serve.

This recipe makes about 8 crepes. I like to make extra mousse and will sometimes top the crepes with the filling. 

          
Doesn't that mousse look good?

Comments

Popular Posts