Milestones and Memories


 
May is a really busy month for me. My husbands’ birthday is May 1st and this was a milestone birthday for him. That’s right no more denying it, he is officially “old!” you see, he turned “70” this month. I asked him how it felt to be 70. He said “70” was the age he decided many years ago defined being old but he couldn’t believe he’d gotten there so fast! I met him right before he turned 35 and we spent his 35th birthday in Las Vegas so it was appropriate we spent his 70th there as well. Now we are the old people we used to complain about who walk around looking like they are drunk, knowing now they were simply trying to keep their balance so they didn’t fall down and hurt something or someone. Ah, but I digress. (That’s another thing old people do.)

It’s also Mother’s Day and time to celebrate mothers. In our family that means food and lots of it. My sister used to have a Mother’s Day brunch and we’d celebrate Mother’s Day at her house. Now her daughter has children so this year she hosted the brunch. It’s time to bring out the old favorites and make it an easy day for everyone. We decided on a potluck so everyone would contribute a little and no one would spend the whole day cooking. My niece made quiches, my sister cooked a ham and my assignment was crepes.

I love crepes and they have become a staple at most every brunch we have. They are simple to make, versatile and easy to transport. The truth is they are nothing more than thin, fussy little pancakes but they can be tricky on a bad day, which seemed to be Saturday when I was making them. I think my multitasking may have been sabotaging my good sense. You see, I have three crepe pans and decided to use two of them at the same time. Not a wise move! Did I tell you multi-tasking is another thing old people shouldn’t do? Anyway, my attempt to get them done more efficiently took twice as long. It all turned out alright after I went back to one pan. Anyway, they were a hit at our brunch and we ate them with fruit and whipped cream. I also had plenty of leftovers (from my two pan fiasco) and they became a part of our dinner. This crepe recipe is one I have used for many years and I like it because it is not sweet so the crepes are really versatile to use but if you are going to be serving them for brunch only, you can add a little sugar or vanilla or go crazy and add cinnamon or chocolate or anything you want. Enjoy! 

 
Crepe pan top
 

Crepe pan bottom
 

Crepe recipe:
2¼ cups flour
¾ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
3 cups milk
3 eggs
2 tablespoons butter, melted (You will need more for frying the crepes)

Mix flour, salt and baking powder together. Stir in eggs milk and butter. Mix with hand mixer or whisk until smooth. (I’ve used a mixer at the lowest speed)

Heat 8-inch crepe pan over medium and brush bottom of pan with butter. Pour ¼ cup batter into pan and rotate pan so batter forms a thin film on bottom. Cook until top is dry and bottom is brown. Cook other side until light brown. Stack crepes on plastic wrap or paper towels.


Crepe ready to remove from pan 


So, here’s the good part. Crepes can be made 2 days ahead of time and wrapped in plastic wrap and refrigerated or they can be frozen for up to 3 months.         


Dinner is served!


Yum!

Comments

Popular Posts