Would You Like Some Lemon With That?


 
So it’s January and I live in Arizona so that means it’s time for all the fruit on the citrus trees mature at one time. I’m barely over Christmas and all the baking and now it’s time to figure out what to do with a tree full of grapefruits and lemons. We also have two orange trees and a tangelo tree but they’re no problem since my husband loves orange juice and he does have a lot of fun making juice. I think he envisions we’re saving bundles of money. Somehow I don’t think that extra money from three gallons of orange juice will really impact our budget all that much but he enjoys his return to basics. You know surviving off the land and all that. I don’t want to be the one to tell him that if we really have to depend on our own resources, his electric juicer won’t really help much. Ah, the stories we tell ourselves. Anyway here’s a pie recipe I found that uses a whole lemon. And when I say whole lemon, I mean the whole lemon. I was really skeptical and then I tried it. It was really pretty good. A little tart, maybe but did I tell you it uses a whole lemon! So, I added some coconut and fresh grated ginger and some powdered sugar on top. I liked it, my daughter liked it. My husband thought it was too tart. I thought I’d share the recipe. It is really easy and if you think it’s too tart……add some sugar or maybe less lemon.       

 

 

Tropical Whole Lemon Pie
1 large lemon
4 eggs
8 Tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
1½ cups sugar
¼ cup shredded sweetened coconut
1 Tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon grated ginger
1 unbaked pie crust


Cut ends off lemon. Cut remaining lemon into small chunks, removing seeds. Place chunks in blender or food processor. Add remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth and creamy. Mixture will be runny. Pour into unbaked pie shell. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Cover crust if it becomes too browned. Refrigerate and cool for one hour before cutting. Serve with whipped cream or sprinkle with powdered sugar.

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts