So Many Right Ways for Leftovers


 
My kids have been grown and living on their own for many years and yet I cook like any day they will show up at my doorstep and I must be prepared to feed them. So I stock my pantry with their favorite foods only to find they are all on diets or have seen “the light” on what foods will keep them healthy and l don’t seem to have them. Needless to say, I find myself facing leftovers more often than I would like, so I find I have gotten pretty good at disguise. I have also discovered some really fun new food combinations that I probably would not have tried. I found out how wonderful sweet and savory foods can be together and put salt on any kind of candy and I will love it. (That’s really not fair because I probably would have eaten the candy anyway) 
My husband loves bread pudding and we always seem to have a loaf of bread that is about to meet its end. I also had six apples lost in the bottom of the refrigerator. Ah, inspiration! So continues my love for salted caramel apples in yet another tasty version. I call it

                                              “Salted Caramel Apple Bread Pudding” 
     
                          


3 apples, peeled, cored, finely diced
10 slices bread or rolls, torn into 2 to 3 inch pieces
2 cups half and half
¾ cup sugar
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
½ teaspoon nutmeg
4oz cream cheese, room temperature
½ teaspoon sea salt
 
Caramel sauce
½ cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup half and half
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ cup salted pecan pieces
 
1) In a large bowl, combine apples and bread. In another bowl combine remaining ingredients. Fold egg mixture into bread and apples. Allow to set 30 minutes.   
2) Fill four-4 inch buttered crocks, ½ full with apple-bread mixture. Place 1 tablespoon cream cheese on top and fill remaining ½ crock with apple-bread mixture.
3) Place filled crock in baking pan with 2 inch sides. Fill baking pan with 1 inch of water and bake crocks at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Remove from oven and cool slightly. Top with caramel sauce. Sprinkle with sea salt
 
Caramel sauce: In a small saucepan over medium heat combine brown sugar, half and half and butter. Heat until mixture starts to bubble stirring to keep mixture from burning. Reduce heat to low and continue to heat 5 or 6 minutes or until sauce starts to thicken. Add vanilla and pecans and remove from heat. Refrigerate mixture until ready to use.  
 

 
Time to Eat!
                                   













Comments

Popular Posts